Saturday 30 August 2008

Town Crier helps celebrate Pauline's 80th birthday


Tonight we walked a few yards to our neighbours house where, along with about 40 other people we celebrated Pauline D'Agorne's 80th birthday in the marquee in her garden. What a marvellous way to celebrate - in your own home with your husband, your family, your relatives, your neighbours, your ex-colleagues and your friends.

The wine and champagne flowed, the refreshments were delicious, the birthday girl was toasted, the birthday song was sung, the cake was cut and ate, the fireworks popped, and the cameras flashed.

I met people I hadn't met before, I got to know people better than I knew them before, we all chatted and communicated for about 3 hours - and the time flew. But what a way to spend an evening, getting to know your neighbours and their family and friends, discussing everything under the sun.

THIS SORT OF EVENING SHOULD BE COMPULSORY FOR AT LEAST ONE HOUSEHOLD IN EVERY STREET IN PENKRIDGE ONCE A YEAR.

If anyone wants to invite me to their celebration in the marquee at home in their back garden, the Penkridge Town Crier is available - and no charge will be made. But beware, you might have to plug your ears!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lovely picture of my Mum and Dad! It was good to meet you after all this time, and the time really did fly, such that I barely had time to snatch short conversations with some people with whom Ive not spoke since childhood. For once the weather was kind to us and the garden that was under water a week ago had dried out enough for us all to sit out in the many camping chairs gathered for the occasion.
If you want to find my musings on the world or the fair city of York that I now represent as a local councillor see www.andydagorne.me.uk